God the Creator
By: Natalie Wiesen
June 27, 2017
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
“The heavens declare the glory of God. The skies proclaim the work of His hands.” Psalm 19:1
I recently Google searched “Facts about our Universe” and came across a few of the following that blew my mind:
- The Milky Way has at least 46 billion Earth-size planets and roughly 200 billion stars, And that’s just in our galaxy.
- There is an Earth-sized diamond that is present at a distance of 900 light years away from Earth. It’s the coldest object that astronomers have ever detected (-5,000 degrees Farenheit) and because of it’s extremely cold state, its carbon has crystallized, much like diamonds.
- The largest object in the universe has a mean size of 6-10 billion light years and theoretically shouldn’t even exist.
- There is a large area of space that is devoid of any galaxies that has been theorized by cosmologist Laura Mersini-Houghton, to be the imprint of a parallel universe.
- There is a strange hypothesized matter called dark matter that takes up 84.5% of the Universe and we aren’t completely sure what is it and we can’t detect them.
- There is an object in universe which is pulling the Milky Way Galaxy and millions of other galaxies towards it at 14 million mph.
- There are about 24 GALAXIES in the universe for every single person alive on earth.
Those are mind blowing facts. What is more mind blowing is our God who spoke a word and the heavens were created out of nothing. Our God is so great and so mighty that a simple utterance from Him can create things our minds cannot even begin to grasp. When you meditate on the vastness of the universe that God created WITH WORDS, is your mind blown by the power of God?
There are millions of known microbes, plants, insects, and animals on this earth, and scientists think there are still millions more to discover! Just on our tiny earth, this is an unbelievable amount of diverse life! If you google search “Most amazing animals,” you can get your mind blown again by some of the unbelievable talents and survival mechanisms endowed to certain creatures. All of these point to a master craftsman.
Lastly, consider the pinnacle of God’s creation: us. The human body alone is unbelievable to say the least (not to mention the unique eternal soul, mind, and spirit that occupies our temporary “tent”.) I could spend hours upon hours just learning about the complexity of the brain, and neuroscience is only in it’s infancy! (if you want yet another google rabbit trail, search for amazing facts about our brain or body).
Just a few facts that caught my attention in the first ten minutes of a google search:
- The human brain has about 100 billion neurons, each of which can link to as many as 10,000 other ones.
- The eye is composed of more than 2 million operational parts which can process 36,000 bits of information every hour. Every part has to assemble properly for the eye to function.
- There are 600 miles worth of blood vessels in our bodies.
- If you stretched the DNA in one cell all the way out, it would be about 2m long, and all the DNA in all your cells put together would be about twice the diameter of the Solar System.
- Watch this video to learn just a snippet about the complexity of a single “simple” cell (from the awesome documentary “Expelled”)
When we consider the work of God’s hands, not only is it mind blowing, but it leads us to praise, “Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” And humbles us “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?”
And perhaps this is the most mind boggling fact of all: That a God this powerful, majestic, transcendent, and high-above would condescend so lowly by becoming a lowly servant man to live a perfect life (on our behalf) and die a brutal death (in our place, to bear the wrath of God for our sin that we deserved) and so save and welcome us into intimate fellowship with Himself. What wondrous love is this!